Harold Haydon, Art
Harold Haydon (Ph.B.'30, A.M.'31), Professor Emeritus in Art, died Jan. 18 in Bernard Mitchell Hospital. He was 84.
In addition to his roles as teacher and researcher, Haydon was a practicing artist and a longtime art critic. In 1982, a retrospective of his "double image" paintings, murals, mosaics and stained-glass windows -- so called because of his use of bright colors to create a dizzying sense of movement -- was held at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He was art critic for the Chicago Sun-Times from 1963 to 1985.
In 1975, Italian sculptor Virginio Ferrari called Haydon "one of the most important figures in the Chicago art world" because of his promotion of Chicago art and artists. In that same year, the Artists Guild of Chicago awarded Haydon its lifetime membership award.
Haydon was born in Fort William, Ontario. He moved with his family to Hyde Park in 1917. A graduate of University High School, he received his Ph.B. in 1930 and his A.M. in philosophy in 1931 from the University. He studied at the Art Institute of Chicago from 1932 to 1933.
After serving as artist-in-residence at Pickering College in Ontario, Haydon joined the faculty of George Williams College, then located in Chicago, in 1934. He began teaching humanities at Chicago in 1944 and was named Assistant Professor in Art in 1945, the same year that he won the Llewellyn John and Harriet Manchester Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. He was Associate Professor from 1948 to 1970, when he was named Professor. He served as Dean of Students in the College from 1957 to 1958 and was Director of Midway Studios from 1963 until 1975, when he retired. Haydon was visiting lecturer on mural art at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago from 1975 until 1981. He published numerous books and articles on art and art education.
Haydon, a widower, leaves no immediate family.
Services and burial will be private. Plans for a memorial service will be announced.