Roof replacement for Rosenwald
As part of Facilities Services’ ongoing program of roof replacement work across the campus, the roof of Rosenwald Hall, currently assigned to the Graduate School of Business, is being replaced this summer. Protective fencing currently surrounds the building, which faces the Main Quadrangle. Designed by Holabird and Roche in 1915, Rosenwald Hall was originally built to house the departments of geology and geography, and its gargoyles represent continents, meteorological events and birds. An octagonal tower on the building once held meteorological instruments, and stone carvings on the building depict philosophers, geographers, geologists, fossils, national floral emblems and reliefs of the Eastern and Western hemispheres. The building is named for former University Trustee Julius Rosenwald, who led Sears, Roebuck & Company in the early 20th century, when it became the largest retailer in the United States. The roof replacement is scheduled to be completed during Fall Quarter 2001.