Aug. 16, 2001
Vol. 20 No. 20

current issue
archive / search

    Awaiting restoration

    As part of the transformation of the Bartlett Gymnasium into the Bartlett Dining Commons, workers have removed the large, distinctive “Ivanhoe” stained-glass window that was above the front entrance of the building on University Avenue. Edward Peck Sperry created the colorful leaded-glass window in 1903, the year the gymnasium was erected. The stained-glass design is a depiction of Sir Walter Scott’s 1819 tale of a disinherited Saxon knight who secretly returns to England with King Richard. The window will be placed in storage until funding is identified for the extensive restoration work required. A clear glass window has been mounted in its place.