Jan. 4, 2000
Vol. 20 No. 7

current issue
archive / search

    Sullivan, University Registrar of 35 years, dies at age 77

    Maxine Sullivan, Registrar from 1964 until her retirement in 1999, died Wednesday, Nov. 15, in her home in Chicago’s Beverly neighborhood. She was 77.

    As Registrar, Sullivan was responsible for maintaining the academic records of all students who attended the University, including the preparation and conferring of diplomas.

    Sullivan’s signature appears on 77,780 diplomas, more than 40 percent of all the diplomas conferred in its history.

    “Maxine developed and ran one of the first University-wide student information systems to be administered exclusively within a registrar’s office, which meant academic, financial and other information were readily available by administrators who work directly with students,” said Andrew Hannah, Acting Registrar at the University.

    Hannah praised Sullivan as an exceptional mentor to him and registrars at leading universities around the country.

    “The example she set was one of excellence in the profession. She encouraged us to seek perfection in doing our jobs, and believed that tenure within the profession goes hand in hand with talent and innovation.”

    Hank Webber, Vice President for Community Affairs, said, “There was nobody more dedicated to the University than Maxine Sullivan. She provided high-quality service as Registrar and was extraordinarily attentive to the needs of students and to the needs of the institution.”

    Charles O’Connell, retired Vice President and Dean of Students, who was Sullivan’s supervisor and friend for many years, said, “She was a remarkable woman, immensely talented, and brought the Registrar’s Office into the modern technological age.

    “She also was a woman of great grace and charm who was unflustered by any problem that came her way.”

    She was born in Harrisburg, Ill., and attended Southern Illinois University. She worked for the American Red Cross and in the Contract Advertising Department of the Chicago Tribune before coming to work in 1958 as a member of the Special Services Staff of the University Hospital and Clinics.

    She joined the Registrar’s staff in 1959 and later that year became Assistant Registrar.